Travel Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

Please find below a range of frequently asked questions about Holidayrisk Travel Insurance and our products.

If you can’t find an answer to your question, or would like some further information please call us FREE on 0203 859 7000 or email us at

Does Holidayrisk provide cover for pre-existing medical conditions?
Yes, we can cover a wide range of pre-existing medical conditions on our Silver, Gold or Platinum policies. Please call us on FREE on 0203 859 7000 or get a quote now by clicking here .

What is IPT?
IPT is Insurance Premium Tax. It is a government levied tax applicable to all policies and is at the rate of 20%. IPT is included in all of our prices.

What happens if I need to cancel my trip due to ill health or injury?
You are covered up to the amount shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits for cancellation in the event of illness or injury. Please see our Claims Information page for more details.

Is the country I’m travelling to classed as European or Worldwide?
Our country geographic definitions are provided in our policy wordings and there is also an information link next to the destinations drop down on our quote page.

Does your annual policy cover trips within the UK?
Yes, trips within the UK are covered provided that there is a minimum of two nights pre-booked accommodation.

What is the Excess and Excess Waiver?
The excess is the first part of the claim that you are responsible for and is payable by you – these are shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits.

Do you cover Repatriation?
Yes, repatriation is included under the Medical Expenses section of our policies. If you need to be repatriated back to the UK you must, in the first instance, contact the 24 hour medical emergency assistance (refer to policy wording for contact details)

Are we covered if we travel separately on a joint annual policy?
Yes, adults who appear on a joint annual policy are covered if they take a trip on their own. Please note that children must travel with at least one insured adult.

Are my personal possessions and baggage covered?
Yes, your personal property is covered up to the amount shown in the policy wording Schedule of Benefits. Please see our Policy Documents page for further details.

What do I need to do if my personal possessions are lost or stolen whilst I'm on holiday?
You must report to the local police within 24 hours of the discovery of the loss or theft. On your return to the UK you should then contact the claims service. Please see our Claims Information page for more details.

Is scuba diving covered?
Yes, we can cover scuba diving up to a maximum depth of 30 metres provided that you are diving with a qualified instructor.

Do I need to take all my policy documents with me when I travel?
We always recommend that you take your full policy wording and schedule with you, which contain important information.

How many times can I travel on an Holidayrisk annual policy?
You can take an unlimited number of trips throughout the year on an annual policy.

Do I need to tell you every time I travel on an annual policy?
No, you do not need to tell us each time you travel.

I am travelling today. Can I buy a policy?
Yes, you can buy a policy for travel today. You can click here for a quote and get immediate cover by clicking here, alternatively please call us on 0203 859 7000.

Do your policies have a maximum age limit?
We can provide cover to customers on a single trip policy up to age 85. Our maximum age for annual policies is 75 years of age.

What is the maximum trip duration on my annual policy?
Our annual policies are subjected to a maximum number of days per trip, dependent on the policy type selected and your age.

Does my annual policy cover me for skiing?
If you have selected the winter sports option, then you are covered for winter sports subject to paying an additional premium.

What is the maximum duration for a single trip policy?
We can cover single trips up to 365 days in duration, dependent on the policy type selected and your age. Please call us on 0203 859 7000 for further details.

Do you sell group travel insurance policies?
Yes, we do. Please call us FREE on 0203 859 7000 or email us at

Is your travel insurance only available to UK resident?
Yes, we can only provide you with cover if you are a resident of the United Kingdom: England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man and are registered with a UK doctor.